Hays County Commissioners Court members proclaimed February 2021 as Black History Month.
Vanessa Westbrook shared information with the Court about a variety of happenings and events taking place next month.
Black History Month Calendar of Events (subject to change, please verify with the organization hosting the event):
Feb. 5 at 7 PM
• City of Kyle Progress and Peace Panel hosted by City Councilman Dex Ellison, Kyle City Hall. Event theme is “The Black Family: Representation, Identity, and Diversity”.
Note event will be a hybrid with limited seating at the Kyle City Hall Chambers and virtual attendance with an interactive format for audience participation.
Feb. 13, 12 PM – 5 PM
• Celebrating Black History Month Event: I Love You TWO!
Location: Wonder World Park, 100 Prospect Street, San Marcos, Sponsored by Soulful Creations Tx and Wonder World Park.
Donations for the Hays County Food Bank will be requested and collected at this event. Two food items will be rewarded with discounts at the Soulful Creations Tx and Wonder World Caves & Amusement Park.
Feb. 19 at 5 PM
• Virtual Zoom Program: Myth of the Strong Black Woman: A Discussion Series on the Mental Health of Black Women.
Presented by Hays/Caldwell County Women’s Center and The Dunbar Heritage Association with host Jonnie Wilson, Outreach Counselor at Hays-Caldwell Women Center, and an amazing panel of women.
Feb. 20, 2-4 PM
• Buda Black History Celebration 2.0: Lift Ev’ry Voice
Via virtual; details coming! Hosted by Sandra Bryant with Keeping Communities Connected (KCC) in Partnership with the City of Buda Master of Ceremony: Ray Bryant, Buda City Councilman & Derrick Bryant, Lockhart City Councilman.
Feb. 21, 4:30-6 PM
• Voices at The Table
A community forum on race and social injustice. February being Black History Month, we will discuss black and blended families in Wimberley and Hays County. Co-moderated by Sandra Organ Solis and Marissa Fehler; Zoom. Go to https://table.yosoyx.net to register for the event.
• Celebrating Black History Month Event: Karaoke at the CAVE!
Come on over to Wonder World Park, 100 Prospect Street, San Marcos; Sponsored by Soulful Creations Tx and Wonder World Caves and Amusement Park.
The Karaoke at the CAVE challenge will be filled with fun, and LIVE on Face Book; Please bring donations for the Hays/Caldwell County Women’s Center as items collected at this event. Items needed are household cleaning supplies, new towels (bath towels, hand towels, face towels), and writing journals with pens.
• Celebrating Our “Hairitage!” Pt. 2 sponsored by The Dunbar Heritage Association (virtual and possibly hybrid).
The Dunbar Heritage Association will host a night of discussion that examines the politics, complexities, and beauty of black hair both within the larger American culture and within the black community. The virtual portion will be aired on the DHA Facebook Page.
Month-long events Celebrating Black History
• Buda Public Library will have a Celebrating Black History Month virtual event; weekly book reading on Face Book; take and make kits are available free of charge for ages 5 – 10; digital book displays on website throughout the month of February
• City of Buda will be highlighting African American contributions each day on social media pages through graphics and video every day in February.
• City of Kyle highlights African American Contributions to our everyday life. Various forms of media/social media will highlight an African American each day of February starting February 1 through February 28.
• Kyle Public Library will have books on exhibits that were written by African Americans, books with African American characters, and events that highlight African Americans. Children’s book reading virtual event will highlight African Americans, and be read by local citizens throughout the month of February.