“The week kicks off with a presentation from the best-selling authors of The Runaway Species, the 2018-19 Common Reading book for the campus,” said Marquiss.
SAN MARCOS – A slate of nationally-acclaimed authors, scientists, innovators, and researchers are scheduled to participate in Innovation Week September 24-28 at Texas State University.
Events are open to the public and highlight initiatives, research projects and programs of the university and its partners.
Innovation Week is part of the university-wide, year-long Common Experience theme of innovation at Texas State. Common Experience Director Twister Marquiss said the guest speakers and collaborators from the private and public sector will set the stage for a series of engaging, thought-provoking experiences.
“The week kicks off with a presentation from the best-selling authors of The Runaway Species, the 2018-19 Common Reading book for the campus,” said Marquiss. “NASA astronaut José Hernández will present the LBJ Distinguished Lecture on Tuesday, followed by NASA Innovation Day and an Innovation Leadership Roundtable on Wednesday, with a full schedule of product demonstrations, art exhibitions and audio/visual immersion opportunities throughout the week.”
A complete list of Innovation Week events may be found at txstate.edu/commonexperience/events/innovation-week.
Monday, Sept. 24
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. — Events focused on Innovation in the College of Liberal Arts
- 7 p.m. — Common Experience Insight Series presents David Eagleman and Anthony Brandt, authors of The Runaway Species (Evans Auditorium)
Tuesday, Sept. 25
- 9:30 a.m. — 3M: New Product Development and Introduction (McCoy Hall, Woods Teaching Theater)
- 11 a.m. — Greater San Marcos Innovation Summit (San Marcos Convention Center)
- 7 p.m. — LBJ Distinguished Lecture: Former NASA astronaut José Hernández (Evans Auditorium)
Wednesday, September 26
- 11 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. — NASA Innovation Day (LBJ Student Center Ballroom)
- 7 p.m. — Innovation Leadership Roundtable with business and community leaders — Adriana Cruz, president of the Greater San Marcos Partnership (moderator); John Thomaides, mayor of San Marcos; Paul Brown, president of Bautex Systems; Steven Frayser, executive director of Science, Technology and Advanced Research (STAR) Park, Texas State; Jennifer Irwin, director of the Materials Science, Engineering and Commercialization (MSEC) Program, Texas State (Alkek Teaching Theater)
Thursday, September 27
- 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. — Alkek Technology Day, including 360-Minute Innovation Challenge with prizes (Alkek Library, first floor)
- 7 p.m. — 3rd annual Space Settlement Symposium (Centennial Hall, Room 157)
Friday, September 28
- 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. — Events focused on Innovation in the College of Education
- 11:30 a.m. — Graduate Student Panel: Roads to Innovation (Lampasas Hall, Room 501)
- 7:30 p.m. — Innovation through Music: Pierrot Lunaire-Arnold Schoenberg (Performing Arts Center)
Other events, listed on the Common Experience website (http://www.txstate.edu/commonexperience/events/innovation-week.html), include product demonstrations, art exhibitions and audio/visual immersion opportunities throughout the week.
Individuals requiring accommodations due to a disability should contact (512) 245.3579 at least 72 hours in advance of the event.