Sierra Martin | Managing Editor
SAN MARCOS – The San Marcos Police Department (SMPD) arrested 20-year-old Dezmond Brown for an incident that occurred the evening of Monday, Jan. 17, 2022, at a home on Academy Street.
According to SMPD, Brown followed a vehicle to the residence after a traffic-related altercation and then fired several shots at the home before fleeing the scene. He was arrested yesterday, Jan. 19, and faces charges of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and deadly conduct.
At the time of publication, Brown is still booked in the Hays County Jail.
SMPD has investigated several traffic-related aggravated assaults recently. On Jan. 18, 2022, 25-year-old Drake Jensen was arrested for aggravated assault after firing a gun at another vehicle.
SMPD shared some tips in a Facebook Post to keep in mind if you think you’re being followed after an altercation on the road:
- Keep calm and step off the gas. Slowing down gives you time to think about what’s around you.
- Consider driving to a police station or an office that belongs to an agency with authority. Stay in public, well-lit areas.
- Switch up your route. Taking detours can help determine whether there’s an issue.
- Call a friend or family member, let them know where you are, and stay on the phone until you feel comfortable. Some apps could be used to track and report your location.
- If you feel you are in serious or immediate danger, call 911.