The Austin Police Department is providing a no questions asked gun surrender service where citizens can safely surrender unwanted firearms and ammunition.
The first event will take place on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 from 3-8 p.m. at the Robert T. Martinez, Central East Substation, 812 Springdale Rd.
Below are instructions for the event:
- Do not walk into the substation with a visible gun or ammunition
- Unload the gun
- Put the gun and ammunition in separate bags
- Bring unwanted gun(s) and ammunition to 812 Springdale Road on Tuesday, January 28, 2020, between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m.
- Leave the gun or ammunition in the car (trunk or back seat) or bagged (if on foot)
- Tell an officer you are there to turn in a gun and they will safely retrieve it
- April 28, 2020
- July 28, 2020
- October 27, 2020
- January 26, 2021
Learn more about the program here.