San Marcos Corridor News seeks a full-time digital editor to oversee our thriving online presence.
We are a seven-year-old online media source specializing in the daily News that affects all Texans with a concentration on the “Innovation Corridor” and Hays County, including coverage of daily News, local and state politics, and culture.
We’re looking for an editor with a minimum of one year of experience working in daily online journalism, who will take our independent, accountability-driven journalism to the next level.
You must have a passion for investigative reporting, comfort with collaborations, and an abiding interest in the Corridor beats, including crime, civil rights, environment, economic development, public health, immigration, and politics.
- Produce and upload stories to the Corridor’s online content management system and create great SEO headlines.
- Knowledgeable on fact-checking.
- Manage contribution requests/content.
- Communicate with readers & officials related to corrections, comments, and other inquiries.
- Perform interviews & cover local events as needed.
- Manage the Corridor’s social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram; produce social copy and SEO headlines.
- Attract and acquire new audiences and deepen engagement with them.
- Manage the Corridor’s daily news email program and strategy.
- Hire and oversee the Corridor’s digital intern team.
- Manage, prioritize the content on Corridor’s homepage.
- Assist with website redesign.
- Editing as needed, including copy editing.
- You must be a highly ethical leader, team player with integrity.
- You must be a mission-oriented professional with the ability to work quickly and independently.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent writing and editing skills and one year minimum experience working in the fast-paced digital news environment.
- Knowledge and passion for all things Texas, especially News and Politics.
- Familiarity with WordPress or other content management systems and social media, particularly Twitter and Facebook.
- Send your résumé, cover letter, and no more than five links to clips of your writing, pieces you’ve edited, or other relevant work samples such as newsletters, tweet threads, etc., to Melissa@SMCorridorNews.com.
- The deadline to apply is January 31.
- This position is based in Hays County, Texas, as a remote position.
WHO WE ARE
We are committed to living, working, and delivering your local News every day with High Standards, Code of Ethics, and Mission.
OUR HILL COUNTRY REGION
As many of you may already know, Hays County, and in particular San Marcos, has been named the fastest-growing area in the United States for 2012, 2013, and 2014. San Marcos’ location along IH-35 within the centralized location of Hays County in Texas is only part of the reason we have been called the “The Innovation Corridor.”
Provide our readers with accurate, informative reporting, as well as an outlet for community engagement, discourse, and integration, promoting a strong sense of community. We believe the information that affects your daily life should not come with a price tag or subscription fee.