Tragic vehicle collision with Texas State University bus leads to death of 16-year-old

Family suspects a seizure caused the fatal accident

Sierra Martin | Managing Editor

San Marcos Police are investigating a crash that occurred just before 5 p.m. on Friday, April 29, at the intersection of Aquarena Springs Drive and Charles Austin Drive. The accident resulted in the death of 16-year-old Addison Harley and the hospitalization of his 17-year-old pregnant girlfriend.

Initial reports indicate a black Dodge Charger, occupied by Harley and his girlfriend, was traveling at high speed westbound on Aquarena Springs Drive when it struck the back of a Texas State University bus that was stopped at a red light waiting to turn left onto Charles Austin Drive. Upon impact, the Charger spun and struck a Mustang also waiting at the red light.

Harley and his girlfriend were transported to Seton Hays Hospital in Kyle with severe injuries. Harley has died from his injuries, and an autopsy has been ordered. Harley’s girlfriend and her baby survived the accident after surgery, and she was released from the hospital yesterday. 

Trey Lee, Stepfather of Harley, said that his son had a seizure in the moments leading up to the accident. Harley had never had a seizure before, but his family suspects his seizure was caused by a history of concussions from sports and a previous Go-Kart wreck. 

Lee said that Harley’s girlfriend has begun remembering the events leading up to the tragic accident, which started as a typical trip to Shaggy’s Hair Design in San Marcos to get his hair cut.

“All of the sudden he just stopped talking and he aggressively grabbed the steering wheel. And like white-knuckling it when she felt the car begin to accelerate, she started calling his name,” said Lee. 

She began to yell his name and didn’t receive any response, so she tried to get the wheel out of his hand. When she couldn’t get the wheel to move, she tried to access the brake, Lee said. 

“She ended up diving down into the floorboard on the driver’s side and hit the brake. And she said that was the last thing she remembered,” said Lee.

Harley’s family has created a GoFundMe to help organize funeral expenses. Harley’s family said that he was very loved and touched the hearts of many in his life. 

“He was beyond helpful, always went out of his way to help others. He always made sure everybody in the room was smiling and happy,” said Lee. “He loved basketball and football. He was super excited to be a dad. He always did good in school. He always went above and beyond. There is just so much good to say.”

According to a city spokesperson, the cause of the crash is still under investigation. The sole occupant of the Mustang and 12 occupants on the Texas State bus were not transported to the hospital. 

This is an ongoing investigation. Corridor News will provide updates as they become available. 

Related Articles:

UPDATE: San Marcos Police respond to major accident involving Texas State University bus

Related Articles

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button