As San Marcos nears the kickoff of its new annual event Go Wheels Up!, the anticipation is mounting.
On November 27, the city of San Marcos executed an agreement with Go Wheels Up Texas, LLC, for the purpose of hosing an airshow, car show, food festival and music festival in May each year from 2019 to 2023 at the San Marcos Regional Airport.
Hosted by Texas music icon Cory Morrow, Go Wheels Up! Texas is a high-energy, family-friendly celebration of music, airplanes, exotic automobiles and of course – Texas cuisine. The weekend’s concert series, air show, auto show and food festival are designed to entertain spectators from all walks of life.
Festivities will start Friday, May 3, with an exclusive Go Wheels Up! Texas VIP Take-Off Party at the airport, which will feature an invite-only concert by the event host, Morrow, and a few of his closest friends.
The inaugural event is scheduled to take place on May 3-5, 2019, and the schedule is packed with some of the “biggest names in the world of Texas Country and Rock & Roll.”
Here is the music line up:
- Cory Morrow
- Bret Michaels
- Kevin Fowler
- Radney Foster
- Dale Watson
- Cory Morrow
- Los Texmaniacs
- Josh Weathers
Other scheduled activities include:
- Red Bull Airforce
- B-17 Texas Raiders
- Auto Show
- P-51 Gunfighter
Red Bull Airforce, P-51 Gunfighter and B-17 will hold shows every day of the event for attendees to enjoy, and an Auto Show will take place on Saturday and Sunday. All throughout the weekend there will be numerous activities for children and families to enjoy
Some events due require tickets, which can be purchased the Go Wheels Up! website.
Anyone will questions are encouraged to call the Go Wheels Up! Texas office at 512-216-6039. Below potential event attendees, tenants and participants can find information regarding tickets, event layout, aircraft operations, vehicle operations and tenant access.
The official event hours are:
- Friday, May 3 – 5:00 PM to 10:00 PM
- Saturday, May 4 – 9:00 AM to 10:00 PM
- Sunday, May 5 – 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Tickets can be purchased prior to the event at gowheelsup.live or at the gate the day-of the event. However, organizers encourage everyone to purchase their tickets early to help with the flow of both vehicle and pedestrian traffic. Ticket holders can opt to add the Lightning Pass on-site.
Current airport tenants may receive complementary tickets for themselves and a guest by emailing Clayton Corn at email@example.com NO LATER THAN Friday, April 26.
Complementary tickets are also available for volunteers and their guests.
Please note this is a simplified version of the overall event layout. It does not show fencing or airfield closures and should only be used as a way to orient yourself with the event structure.
- Green: Vehicle parking. Visitors will be guided from this area into the event via a controlled access point.
- Red: General event boundary which will include ADA parking, static aircraft displays, classic car show, two concert stages, food vendors, kid zone, and vendor booths.
- Yellow: All based and transient aircraft will be parked in this area from Monday, April 29 through Monday, May 6 (more information below).
- Blue: Used for overflow of transient aircraft during the event or for larger transient aircraft who can not be towed to the yellow area.
Outside of TFR times on each day, the airport will be OPEN to normal operations. However, a little patience may be required.
- The map below shows all the areas where aircraft can operate UNDER TOW.
- Aircraft may not be started until they reach the hot ramp located at the intersection of Taxiways Alpha and Charlie.
- Aircraft will be towed by either Berry Aviation or Redbird Skyport. Participants will need to contact their preferred FBO directly.
Aircraft currently parked within the event boundary will need to be moved to the west side of the ramp (between Berry Aviation and the T-shelters) by no later than Monday, April 28.
- Aircraft will be relocated beginning the week of April 15.
- If individuals are parked between the Kerner T-hangars and Specialized Aero, and wish to move their plane themselves, please notify officials by calling (512) 216-6039.
- Aircraft will be moved back to the east ramp the week after the event.
Please note that for this inaugural event, aircraft camping is not allowed. However, officials hope to add camping to future events.
If individuals plan on flying in for the event, officials recommend they arrive as early as possible and contact their preferred FBO to ensure there is space. Any group interested in flying in should contact Clayton Corn to make arrangements.
VEHICLE OPERATIONS BEGINNING MAY 3 AT 5:00 PM
Visitors will enter Airport Drive and continue straight through the gate where Berry Aviation typically keeps their fuel trucks. During the event hours, Airport Drive will be one-way to allow for two lanes of inbound traffic.
Once inside the gate, vehicles will travel straight up the ramp to Taxiway Alpha and then proceed on Runway 8 to parking.
There will be parking attendants and security along the route to ensure vehicles and pedestrians stay within the gates and do not travel on the active west ramp.
When leaving, vehicles will travel along Taxiway Juliet to Taxiway Kilo and exit through the main entrance.
The ingress route is shown in yellow and the egress route is shown in blue in the map below.
Tenants will be allowed access to their hangars along Airport Drive, however, they will need a ticket/wristband to enter the event boundary. If a tenant anticipates needing access to their hangar on any of the three days, please contact Clayton via email for a vehicle pass to be placed on their dashboard.
When a tenant enters the airport, stay in the right-hand lane. The parking attendants will see the pass on their dash and they’ll be able to continue along Airport Drive rather than be forced to turn to parking.
Organizers ask that during the event, the vehicle be parked inside your hangar or in a striped parking area. There will be a lot going on and officials don’t want anyone not familiar with the airport to think they can park next to hangars.