The City of San Marcos supports the arts and local artists through a variety of programs and events throughout the year.
The deadline to apply for City of San Marcos Arts Commission funding is approaching, and the City is still seeking applicants for the program.
The deadline to apply is Monday, Sept. 25, 2017. Applicants are encouraged to schedule a pre-review meeting with city staff to discuss and review applications prior to final submittal. Full details, guidelines, and application forms are available online at www.sanmarcostx.gov/arts
Art projects must meet the following criteria to be eligible for funding:
- Promote the arts, which may include instrumental and vocal music, dance, drama, folk art, creative writing, architecture, design and allied fields, painting, sculpture, photography, graphic and craft arts, motion pictures, radio, television, tape and sound recording, and other arts related to the presentation, execution, and exhibition of these major art forms.
- Promote local tourism and the convention industry.
Cultural Diversity projects as those that meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Preserves, produces, or presents art forms and cultural activities specific to any ethnic culture.
- Expresses the experiences of historically underserved ethnic and other communities (which include, but are not limited to African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics/Latinos, Native Americans, Pacific Islanders, and the Gay/Lesbian Community).
- Celebrates San Marcos’ ethnic diversity and variety of cultural traditions.
- Connects diverse communities through educational or interactive activities.
Examples of previously funded events include Summer in the Park, Fiesta del Mariachi, Indigenous Cultures Institute: Songs of the Seven Winds Native American Concert, Eddie Durham Jazz Festival, Walker’s Gallery, Suzuki Strings Workshop, Opening Door Dance Theatre Performance, and the Heart of Texas Chorus Regional Competition.
For additional information, contact Lisa Morris at 512.393.8409.